Saturday 21 December 2013

FF #8: My engagement ring



FF #8: get my engagement ring re-made

I got engaged on 14 December 1997. DH (darling husband, but that also happens to be his initials) wanted to ask my mum first (quaint - although I think I made him do it). We went out for a birthday meal with my mum and his parents. I'd already chosen a diamond solitaire and he had it in his pocket. As the evening went on I resorted to gentle kicks under the table, and those facial expressions with judicious use of eyebrows that say "go ON! Ask her! Get on with it!". After dinner he suggested a wee walk up Calton Hill.

You can imagine that in mid-December it was a bit nippy out, and the parents were keen to make the return journey to their homes in Glasgow. About one-third of the way up, they called time on the adventure and said they were off. Dave was forced to ask my mum for my hand in marraige there and then (her answer as I remember it was "oh! well you'll have to ask Elspeth!"), and there was much back-slapping and sniffling. We got married in October 1998.
DH and I when we got engaged in 1997
and when we got married in 1998.

Some time round about 2008, the diamond and it's setting came off the band of my ring. I was lucky to find them in my jeans pocket, but having small children and a wedding ring on the same finger meant that the repair wasn't a priority. I always meant to get it mended but never found the time.

But today I got my special birthday present from DH: my beautiful engagement diamond re-set into a new ring. The setting includes gold from the original band. It's a totally different setting, so it won't catch on my clothes the way the old one did. It is utterly beautiful and I love it. I've been grinning all afternoon since I got it and I can't stop looking at it!

new ring, old diamond.
More than just a piece of jewellery, this diamond means so much to me and I'm so lucky to be able to wear in 24/7 again. Given the chance, I would marry DH all over again and I wouldn't change a thing. Life has happened to us over the last 16 years with good times and challenges, but Love Never Fails. I love DH and I love what we have together. If he asked me to do it all again, I would say yes, yes, yes, without any hesitation.  

(We got my ring re-made by Ariel at Annie Smith in Stockbridge. He was very patient and attentive and he's done a marvellous job!)

No comments:

Post a Comment